Moissanite is the most common alternative to the diamond. How to identify moissanite from diamond? It’s tricky for untrained eyes. In this article about moissanite vs diamond, I’m going to reveal few simple trick to tell if your gemstone is diamond or moissanite.
Moissanite is often used in imitation jewelry. The price of moissanite is 10 – 15 % of diamond’s price.
So, What is Moissanite?
French scientist, Henry Moissan first discovered moissanite in 1893 from the crater that created by a meteor on earth. He first thought, he had discovered diamond, but later found that these are composed of silicon carbide. However, Henry Awarded with Nobel Prize in chemistry. Hence, it named with Henry’s last name. “Moissanite“
Moissanite is gemstone like any other precious stone. It is a crystal form of silicon carbide. Natural moissanite is very rare. Most of the moissanite available today are lab-created.
Moissanite vs Diamond
Tips – How To Identify Moissanite From Diamonds
Below listed are the easiest tips to identify moissanite from diamonds manually.
As we talked before, Diamonds never has double refraction property. Here game becomes simple, using magnification loupe to see through stone’s crown, you might find blurry edges (joints) which might cause due to double reflection property in moissanite. On the example image, we can see the refraction of facets into stone. Diamond never look like this, Sometimes reflection into moissanite are less compared to shown in above image.
Check Stone Weight
The weight of moissanite is 15%-18% less compared to diamond. Two stone (one moissanite and another diamond) with similar diameter varies in weight. For example round diamond with 6.5 mm weighs 1.00 carat, whereas moissanite with 6.5 mm weight 0.83 carat.
Extreme Brightness & Fire
Moissanite has extreme brightness and fire compare to diamonds and cubic zirconia. If you find extraordinary flashes of color, it’s probably a moissanite. Fire and brightness in moissanite are two times more than of diamonds. Moissanite.
Buy Moissanite Tester
Why don’t invest few bucks in a tool called Moissanite tester? There are few moissanite testers available on Amazon. Get one of this tool and check whether your gemstone is diamond or moissanite. It cost you around 30$ to 50$ on various e-commerce sites. Don’t forget to check user reviews before buying this tool.
Best Way To Tell Your Gemstone Is Moissanite Or Diamond
- Expert Advice : I always advise to consult gemologist. In my previous post about “ how to tell if your diamond is real or fake“. I have discussed few manual tips to identify fake diamonds. But, I highly recommend you to consult a gemologist. You can consult GIA graduate professionals or person with gemology degree.
- Submit Your Gemstone To Lab : Nothing can be best than this option. Simply submit your stone to gemology labs. GIA, HRD, IGI are few of the best gem labs in the world. GIA labs are most popular and highly recommended. Labs have all the required equipment to check your gemstone chemically, scientifically thus, Lab provides an accurate result of your gemstone.
Harsh’s Opinion – Why You Should Buy Diamond. Not Moissanite
I’m not against buying moissanite. But here are my views, why you should buy diamonds. Being in the diamond industry I will surely promote diamond first. But, I will give reasons which make you think twice before buying a moissanite for your life partner. If “budget” is the point that make you choose moissanite over a diamond. Then let me tell you, there is a diamond for almost every budget.
- If Your Love Is Real So Should Gemstone : Diamonds are the symbol of love. We all know moissanite sparks more than a diamond, even it’s less than half of the price of diamonds. Then why not buying moissanite instead of a diamond? Well, almost every moissanite today we see are lab created and not real (natural). So, how would you feel expressing your real feelings, love & caring with lab created stone? Natural diamonds are girls best friend and the best way to express your real love.
- Diamonds as Investment : Believe it or not, Investing in some kind of diamond have highest ROI comparing other investment options. Natural diamonds are rare, hence with the time goes value increases. But, before investing in diamonds, I would suggest taking expert advice. Because not every diamonds will give you good returns in future. Diamonds are rare and “Investment Diamonds” are really rare. So, investing your money in “Investment Diamonds” is more worth than putting your money in moissanite which has no/less resale value.
- Easy Replace & Quick Cash : Diamond in a ring can easily be replaced with other diamond or even give you quick cash when need. Diamonds are widely accepted in any country. You can visit jewellery reseller and sell you old diamond ring with good money. Moissanite ring is generally less accepted and has no/less resale value.
Over to You – Moissanite vs Diamond
Above stated are my personal comments and are not meant to hurt anybody’s views & feelings. Use below comment box to add your views, suggestion and question. I would really love to see your views about moissanite vs diamond. I hope this article about “How to Identify Moissanite From Diamonds” helps you to know different between diamond and moissanite.
Don’t forget to share, like and tweet this article, if you find helpful. Subscribe now for more such content.
Sources & References